What is IP ? IP is short for Intellectual Property. More specifically, it is
a block of logic that can be used in making ASIC's and FPGA's. Examples
of "IP Cores" are, UART's, CPU's, Ethernet Controllers, PCI Interfaces, etc.
In the past, quality cores of this nature could cost anywhere from US$5,000 to
more than US$350,000. This is way too high for the average company or
individual to even contemplate using -- Hence, the Free-IP project.
Initially the Free-IP project will focus on the more complex cores, like
CPU's and Ethernet controllers. Less complex cores might follow.
The Free-IP project is an effort to make quality IP available to anyone.
Visit the following sites for IP cores -
Here is the list of Free CPUs available or curently under development -
- Russian E2K 64-bit CPU (Very fast CPU !!!)
ELBRUS is now partnered (alliance) with Sun Microsystems of USA.
- Korean CPU from Samsung 64-bit CPU original from DEC Alpha
Alpha-64bit CPU is at
Now there is collaboration between Samsumg, Compaq of USA on Alpha CPU
- Intel IA 64
- Transmeta crusoe CPU and in near future Transmeta's 64-bit CPU
- Sun Ultra-sparc 64-bit CPU
- MIPS RISC CPUs
- Silicon Graphics MIPS Architecture CPUs
- IDT MIPS Architecture CPUs
- IBM Power PC (motorola)
- Motorola embedded processors. SPS processor based on PowerPC, M-CORE, ColdFire, M68k, or M68HC cores
- Hitachi SuperH 64-bit RISC processor SH7750
http://www.hitachi.com sold at $40 per cpu in quantities of 10,000.
Hitachi SH4,3,2,1 CPUs
- Fujitsu 64-bit processor
- HAL-Fujitsu (California) Super-Sparc 64-bit processor
http://www.hal.com also compatible to Sun's sparc architecture.
- Seimens Pyramid CPU from Pyramid Technologies
- Intel X86 series 32-bit CPUs Pentiums, Celeron etc..
- AMDs X86 series 32-bit CPUs K-6, Athlon etc..
- National's Cyrix X86 series 32-bit CPUs Cyrix etc..
- ARC CPUs :
- QED RISC 64-bit and MIPS cpus :
- Origin 2000 CPU -
- NVAX CPUs
http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/DECarchives/DTJ/DTJ700 and at
- Univ. of Mich High-perf. GaAs Microprocessor Project
- Hyperstone E1-32 RISC/DSP processor
- PSC1000 32-bit RISC processor
- IDT R/RV4640 and R/RV4650 64-bit CPU w/DSP Capability
- ARM CPU
- Cogent CPUs
- CPU Info center - List of CPUs sparc, arm etc..
- Main CPU site is : Google Search engine CPU site "Computers>Hardware>Components>Microprocessors"
Other important CPU sites are at -