An overview to build diskless nodes is as follows:
- Download/Install redhat RPM packages from
- Test with floppy disk (1.44MB) having the PROM program.
- Next you have to make the Network card which has the bootable prom
- Either purchase NIC ready with prom or
- Flash boot Roms can be used instead of EEPROMS (if flash-roms are supported by NICs)
- Purchase the eproms
- (or) Purchase Eprom burner to burn your own eproms. Transfer
the tested program from floppy to prom via eprom burner
http://www.disklessworkstations.com to buy eprom burners and
List of EPROM Burner manufacturers,
Build EEPROM burner
LTSP is an open source code project to build diskless linux computers.
At LTSP site you will find RPM packages for Redhat Linux and packages for Debian Linux
which will save you lots of time. The subsequent chapters given in this document
are for academic purposes only, which you can read them if you have more time.
Visit the LTSP and related sites at :-
Related topics worth seeing -